Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mr. Green Jeans


This article in the Seed and Sew blog makes me happy I stuck to my guns when at Vogue Fabric store in Evanston this weekend and purchased only organic fabrics. It was hard. There was some beautiful non-organic embroidered cotton that I literally had in my hand, but no, I walked away and dug deeper and found a bolt of lovely oatmeal colored organic cotton and a bolt of white bamboo blend (it's insanely soft).

According to Nathan Joynt in his article, Organic Cotton, the Rundown:

It’s estimated that 90% of the world’s cotton is genetically modified and most of this is laced with toxic chemicals – fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides and defoliants. According to the Center for Disease Control, just one drop of Aldicarb absorbed through the skin is enough to kill an adult. Yet this pesticide is commonly used in cotton production, to the tune of 1 million kilos in the U.S.


Yikes! Well, I can tell you that at least in Chicago there are a few bolts of organic materials at the Vogue Fabric store. Ok, so they are neutral colors and there are only about 3 of them... but it's something. If we all start looking for, and asking about organic materials- supply will grow to meet demand. Education is the first step.

I'll post pictures when I have my skirts... oh, please, it's not I that will be making them! Oh no, my awesome mother in law is a sewing genius and I gave her my one precious wrap around hemp skirt to clone into more skirts. She's like a wizard, she could sew me a dress out of a shower curtain if I asked her to.


Hm... just imagine if you were getting married and demanded that your dress be made from organic help, bamboo, or non-so toxic it'll kill you- cotton? Now THAT would be a statement!

No comments:

Post a Comment